Hair loss has become quite a mainstream problem for the current generation and it is no less than a nightmare to wake up being bald when you love having hair on your head. No doubt being bald is no less of fashion and trend but those who love their hair have the most common question of how do you prevent hair loss naturally. In this article, we discuss the most important tips to avoid hair loss using some of the natural methods over the conventional chemicals.
10 Best Ways to Prevent Hair Loss Naturally
Dry, tangled, frizzy and rough hair are early signs of hair loss and if you are experiencing these, it is better to take quick action. In the following tips, we discuss the best ways to prevent hair loss naturally and maintaining the below practices help you keep the hair root stronger for a long period.
Here are the 10 best ways to prevent hair loss naturally:
1. Have Oil Massage at Regular Intervals
Massaging your head and hair with oil helps in a good blood flow; thereby, nourishing your hair thoroughly. Giving a good oil massage to your hair frequently boosts the roots of the hair and makes them strong and healthy. You can even use essential oils to massage your hair for a few minutes and get a soothing relaxation.
Essential oils are strong therefore making them mild before using them for massage is important. You can use a few drops of lavender, lemongrass, peppermint, tea tree, ginger, rosemary, or cedarwood oil with carrier oils like; jojobas, coconut, almond, or grapeseed oil and then massage your hair from root to tips to make your follicles strong and active. Oiling your hair at frequent intervals will make your hair black, shiny, strong, and prevent hair loss. The oil acts as a natural conditioner which also makes your hair soft and silky.
2. Use Mild Shampoo and Conditioners
Keeping your scalp neat and clean lowers the risk of dandruff, infection, breakage, hair loss, and damage. Using mild shampoos are quite helpful when it comes to cleaning the scalp without damaging it. To make your shampoo mild, you can mix it with water and then directly rub it on your scalp. This keeps your scalp and hair soft, shiny and full of volume with lesser problems.
However, shampoo alone is not important when it comes to taking care of your hair. This is also why most experts recommend using a conditioner after shampoo.
The conditioner locks the moisture content in your hair and keeps your scalp hydrated for a long period. The amino acid present in the conditioner helps to repair your hair and keeps them soft and shiny. Ensure you don’t apply the conditioner on your scalp as they weaken the roots and lead to hair damage.
But should you shampoo your hair every day? No, shampoos are not great when they are used every day. Instead, you can use them once in 3-4 days or a week.
3. Avoid Brushing Your Hair When They are Wet
There are high chances of your hair falling when you brush your hair when they are wet. The roots of the hair are more susceptible to damage and weaken when you comb your wet hair. Avoid brushing your hair immediately after you take a hair bath. Comb your hair, when they are dry with a very wide-toothed comb and gently remove tangles from your hair.
If you have long hair, it’s advisable to make partitions and then remove tangles softly to avoid excess hair fall. Take a warm towel and gently wipe away the water from your hair. Let your hair dry, and then remove tangles to prevent hair loss.
4. Stop Using Styling Products on Weak Hair
Styling your hair looks tempting, but if you are having a hair fall, then it is better to avoid it. Do not make tight braids and ponytails as they pull your hair and detach them from roots. Heat stylers like; curling, straightening, and blow-drying damage and break the hair as the heat used to make these styles make your hair dry and rough.
At the same time, avoid using chemicals like perms and hair colour dying on your hair. These chemicals are toxic and give you temporary happiness but might damage your hair permanently.
If you are having grey hair, then you can use organic colours, ‘Heena‘, and dyes that are free from peroxide ammonia, and para-phenylenediamine. Pamper your hair with natural remedies instead of giving them chemical dosses. You can use vegetable juices like; onion, beetroot, aloe vera, and amla juice to nourish your scalp, prevent hair fall, and make your hair long and strong.
5. Have a Healthy Diet
Vitamin E promotes blood circulation in the scalp by making follicles productive and Vitamin B helps hair to maintain its natural hair colour and helps reverse hair greying. Therefore, we need to have a healthy diet, which is rich in protein, vitamins, and nutrients.
Hair follicles are made up of a protein called keratine, which gives natural shine, texture, and smoothness to the hair. The amino acid protects the protein on your hair and prevents hair loss naturally. Vitamins also produce healthy sebum in the scalp and nourish hair from roots to tips.
6. Do Exercises That are Good for Your Hair Growth
Physical activities improve blood circulation in the body from head to toe and keep your hormonal levels in check. You can reduce hair loss if you inculcate yoga and physical activities like; walking, running, swimming, and playing sports in your daily schedule.
Yoga asana like: ‘Adho Mukha Svanasana‘, ‘Sarvangasana‘, ‘Sirsasana‘, ‘Uttansana‘, ‘Matsyasana,’ when combined with breathing exercises, reduces hair fall and promotes hair growth. It also maintains hair colour, texture, softness, and smoothness in the hair. It is recommended you practice yoga and exercise daily to make your hair long and strong.
Also read: 10 Fat Burning Exercises at Home
7. Use Hair Masks to Nourish Your Hair
Hair masks can pamper, hydrate, and nourish hair completely; they give deep conditioning to your hair and can make your hair soft, smooth, and glossy. If you have frizzy hair, then hair masks are truly a blessing for you.
Making hair masks with natural ingredients like banana, honey, egg, avocado oil, aloe vera, licorice root, green tea, or greek yoghurt can nourish your hair and prevent it from damage.
You can make these hair masks at home and include them in your skincare routine without booking any prior salon appointment. When you apply a hair mask once a week, it will give a beautiful texture to your hair and help it repair completely.
8. Keep Yourself Hydrated
Almost 60% of our body is composed of water, and about 10 to 13% of our hair is made up of water. Water keeps your scalp hydrated and promotes the growth of hair from roots. It improves hair quality and gives shine to your hair. We all know how water provides miraculous effects to our bodies. Drinking it at regular intervals can prevent hair loss naturally.
9. Avoid Alchoholic Beverages and Smoking
Alcoholic beverages damage your hair to a great extent it keeps you dehydrated and leaves your scalp dry and brittle; this further breaks your hair and causes hair to fall. If you consume alcohol on regular basis then it will deprive you of all nutritional elements and can cause a hormonal issue in your body. Thus, making your hair fragile.
“Smoking is injurious to health”, this is true, and when it comes to hair, it has worse effects. It reduces the blood flow levels to your scalp and damages the DNA of hair follicles, which further reduces the hair growth in your scalp. So, avoid drinking alcohol and quit smoking at the earliest to prevent hair loss naturally.
10. Destress Yourself
When your body or mind is in a stressful conditio then it is natural that to see its affects on you. Some experts say that we witness hair fall conditions when we are disturbed and under stress for a long period. Stress affects us internally, making our inner energies weak and resulting in external damages, like; hair fall, skin-related issues, weight gain or loss, and other health-related problems.
Destressing yourself once a week is important; you can do meditations as it calms your inner self and relaxes your nerves. The soothing effects of meditation help you heal internally and activate your cells to function efficiently. You can even opt for art or music therapy, and other relaxation sessions to boost your inner energies. If you destress yourself frequently, then it will help you prevent hair loss naturally.
What are the Causes for Hair Loss?
Hair loss is a common problem and it can be both temporary or permanent; and this can be a result of hormonal changes, hereditary, or heavy medications. Treating hair loss at the right time before you go bald is necessary. There are many other reasons why you are facing hair loss.
A few causes for hair loss are,
- If you take extreme stress for a long period of time, then it might start affecting your body, and it is natural that you might end up losing your hair.
- Heavy medications may cause side effects, and the side effects can result in hair damage and hair loss.
- Chemicals used in hair coloring and hair styling make your hair dry and rough, and causes heavy damage to your hair.
- If the thyroid gland in your body secretes excess or insufficient amount of thyroid hormone, the hair growth cycle changes and can cause hair loss.
- Women experience harmonal changes at every stage of their life, and these changes reflect in hair loss, hair damage and other skin related problems. A few women encounters ‘Polycystic Ovary Syndrome’ (PCOS), and it causes hair growth on the face and body, while the hair on the scalp goes thinner, resulting in hair loss.
- A few women face hair loss in their pregnancy, it is common and natural as your body is entering into a new phase of life. Your hair growth will return to the natural state once your pregnancy peroid gets over. However, a few women take birth control pills and these pills effects your ovalution and causes hair to thin, resulting in hair fall and hair damage.
- Having a healthy diet for your hair is important, if you consume food which is not rich in vitamins, protein, and nutrients, your hair will not get enough nourishment causing hair damage, greying of hair and hair loss.
Healthy Diet to Prevent Hair Loss
Oiling your hair or taking care of it externally is not enough if the roots are weak from inside. It is essential to intake a healthy diet which is rich in minerals, vitamins, fibres, and nutrients. A healthy diet improves your body positivity and helps in healthy, strong, and long hair.
Here are some of the healthy diet picks to prevent hair loss naturally,
- Include foods in your diet that are rich in iron, vitamin A, B, C, protein and omega3 acid, potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, cigarettes are to be avoided as they are injurious and deadly for you hair and health.
- Avoid packed foods which are rich in sugar and preservatives in your diet as they just help to increase fats in your body, instead of benefiting you.
- Include green leafy vegetables like spinach, curry leaves, broccoli, lettuce and other similar vegetables which provides nutrients to your body and hair.
- Have seasonal fruits that provide your hair with esential nutrients, vitamins, anutioxidants and minerals and help your hair become thicker, longer, smooth and silky.
Hair fall is a common problem that can be treated naturally, to prevent further hair damage and hair loss; Following a healthy diet, including exercise in your daily schedule, and cleansing and nourishing your hair is must and should.
If you have any doubts, queries, and questions, leave them in the comment section and our team will be right back to you soon.